Fingal

Fingal
4 months

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Poopy Goatface

My son Andrew began calling Fingal this after seeing what he seems to be full of and the comment of a neighbor about his long face and floppy ears. We have survived Christmas with the addition of a 3 foot pen around the tree. Fingal still is a charmer looking, as he does right now, like an assembly of spare parts: huge feet a tail that drags the ground, the aformentioned floppy ears. It's hard to see the elegant hound he'll grow into. He's pretty smart; he knows when he sits, he'll get a treat. Sometimes he stands looking bewildered, sometimes biting wildly, due to cutting teeth.Oddly, when he whines, he has a little peeping voice, but he has a full fledged grownup bark. The first few times we heard it, Tax went racing past him, looking for the dog who made the noise. Even Fingal looked a little confused.
He has been to Pampered Pooch, the dog sitters, a couple of times and was very good, except for his habit of mounting everything in sight. He's obviously already considering himself an alpha male.
Right now, he's the laid back Fingal, listening to Scottish music, lying beside my chair as I write.
He's grown in the few weeks I've had him (or he's had me) and is starting to get a fuzzy face. I think the hardest thing right now will be his teething. His gums are swollen and he's constantly rubbing his jaws against things. I've found ice cubes help.
I find myself watching him, the awkward puppy doing goofy things, and smiling. Things could be worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment